Monday, September 11, 2017

Season of Changes





Dysautonomia patients always seem to understand that when the weather shifts, so does your body...and not in the greatest of ways. What I didn't expect was the shift that happens in households during "back-to-school" season.

It's unseasonably cold in Michigan. This week, it'll be in the upper-70s which is great, if I can enjoy it. Last week, it was in the 50s and 60s. It made for a great first week of school for kid #1 but a horrific week for my body.

Back to school is a different kind of change for us - especially kid #1 who has Sensory Processing Disorder. We took him to his occupational therapy appointment last week and his therapist came out after a half hour and said she hasn't seen him this wound up since his first day with her. My heart sank. A half hour before, his kindergarten teacher called to talk about him. He got up every half hour to go to the bathroom. I explained it's one of three things:

  1. He actually had to go to the bathroom ever 30 minutes.
  2. His SPD was in overdrive, making him think he had to go to the bathroom that often.
  3. His SPD was in overdrive and he needed a break from his perceived chaos. 
In my discussion with her, I explained that I understand teachers start making judgments about kids on their first day but I urged her to give him about six weeks because this is A LOT for him to process right now. He's a wonderful kid - very sweet and quiet - but he needs to start up with the school resources to keep him on schedule. Not being on a schedule isn't good for him and causes his little body to spaz out.

And he loves school. He asks to go on the weekend. That's how much he loves it. Even in preschool, he loved it. He just needs everyone in his corner.

That brings me to another change for him...he started Hebrew school on Sunday. Aside from learning about Judaism at home, Hebrew school is the formal Jewish education for children. Our synagogue has wonderful educators and staff - we're constantly reassured that people will take care of our kids and give them a good Jewish education. Yesterday, though, I could already see teachers and young staff members picking favorites. Thankfully, my kids don't notice that. But I do. I'm hyper-aware. 

I'm conscious of how people talk to me, the tones they use are very important to me. Some people don't recognize the tone they use to speak to people - myself included. Yesterday, though, it hit me that some educators won't be as loving or patient with my kids as I hope they'd be. The Jewish community has provisions in place to ensure every kid gets a proper Jewish education, if their parents want them to. So, I have to trust in the administrative staff at our synagogue to ensure that our son is not only educated but treated fairly. He may not be a teacher's favorite but he'll get the reinforced help he needs while he's being educated.

Regardless, they had a great first day of Hebrew school - which was followed by an awesome picnic. they LOVED it - face painting and all. The madrichim (counselors) were really amazing with our kids. One painted both of their faces. Another helped kid #1 up the ladder for the giant blow up slide (something he's NEVER wanted to try before). Kid #2 ate a few too many popsicles and enjoyed just running around. This is the season of changes for us. All good changes but they are also forcing me well outside my comfort zone and I will learn how to work with that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning

The Beginning of Being Sick

Welcome to my blog! I'm not sure if anyone will read this but I'd like to say "hi" to anyone who comes across this. I ...