Friday, July 14, 2017

Being a Woman Sucks...Sometimes

I'm not gonna lie - this week is rough. After feeling relatively OK during the early part of the week, I was blindsided yesterday with a migraine and hormones.

Holy hormones, Batman!

Let me back-up. I'm off my birth control because, as I mentioned a while back, we're trying to conceive kid #3. While on birth control, my menstrual cycle was normal, and my dysautonomia symptoms were in check. I knew to take iron pills when Aunt Flo (AF) showed up heavily and I knew to drink a boatload of Gatorade for a week (as opposed to the one or two glasses I need of it, daily).

Birth control also kept my chronic nausea in check because it balanced out my hormones. When I asked my OB/GYN about going off of birth control, she asked "are you sure you want to do this?" I was sure because we want another child.

Sometimes I regret that decision. Right now is one of those times.

On top of the major shifts in hormones, I told you guys about my chronic migraines. Well, with a shift in hormones, those bad boys come back in full force. I found a supplement that contains feverfew and another few that contain magnesium, CoQ10, and lots of B vitamins. I take them religiously and they brought my migraines down from daily to once or twice a week. When we decided to conceive kid #3, I had to go off of my migraine prevention medication, too.

Are we having fun yet? I'd like to get off this ride. Not the baby-making ride but the one that leads my body into a tailspin.

I went to bed last night feeling unbelievably ill and questioning whether I'd be able to eat today. I woke up knowing I had to be in the office today but feeling so run down and very crampy in all parts of my body - especially my intestinal area.

So, after taking a quick poll of some fellow dysautonomia divas, here's what I learned about having dysautonomia when AF pays a visit:

  • We bleed heavily and have to take iron supplements to compensate for the loss of iron
  • It's painful - not just for a day or two before but we can feel it coming on in the worst way 
  • Taking two advil or tylenol won't cut it - some of us are on some heavy duty pain killers for a week
  • The hormone fluctuation makes our already-annoying symptoms much worse
  • You need to up your fluid intake more than you normally do
  • Fatigue that rivals that of your first trimester of being pregnant
  • We just expect our bodies to be non-compliant for about a week or so
These are simple terms - the reality is much worse and why being a woman really sucks sometimes. Last night's bout of intestinal cramping felt like there was a gremlin in my stomach squeezing my intestines really hard. And it felt like any food I ate in the beginning of the day was still sitting in my stomach. For other women, the cramps are so unbearable that it sends their entire body into a tailspin, sometimes leading them to multi-day hospital stays (none of us enjoy going to the hospital).

Needless to say, I'm exhausted, in pain, and my head still hurts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning

The Beginning of Being Sick

Welcome to my blog! I'm not sure if anyone will read this but I'd like to say "hi" to anyone who comes across this. I ...