Monday, January 4, 2016

Health and Wellness for 2016

2016 best wishes
Holy Crap! It's already 2016! That's a bit insane for me. Let me recap December:

Went to Florida with the family. We drove. I survived.

Started a new health path with the Integrative Wellness Center (more on that in a bit).

Organized a lot of my house.

Had more good days than bad.

Switched cell phone carriers.


That sums it up fairly well.

I was barely symptomatic while we were on vacation - which was amazing! It was hot but I stayed hydrated and I rested when I needed to. I got sick towards the end of our trip with a virus but it was more manageable while we were in warm weather than it would have been if I was in Detroit and working.

Towards the end of November, I took my health into my hands with some help from my friend, Missy. I was at my lowest and realized I was in a nasty cycle of constantly being sick and taking medication. This is part of the problem with having dysautonomia - we can really only treat the symptoms, not heal the disorder. So, I sought outside help and started seeing Dr. Shields. He ran some blood tests and they were concerning. I'm pre-diabetic. My cholesterol is insanely high. My liver is breaking down. Basically, I'm sick and not getting any better.

Without going into too much detail, I'm on Phase I of IV of trying to get healthy. Phase I consists of three medical shakes, a lot of supplements, and a new diet where I can't eat:

  • legumes
  • dairy
  • seeds
  • nuts
  • beef
  • heavily processed foods
  • sugar
  • fruit
  • regular coffee


One of my friends at work said "yum, you can eat salad all day long!" but in reality, I'm not hungry. I'm allowed a little bit of honey and my Gatorade (can't live without that stuff). I can have lean meats, good fats, and lots of vegetables. Plus I can have quinoa and brown rice. I can also have oatmeal if I really want to (but I'm not really a fan).

The first two days were rough. I wasn't feeling well. With the weather changing, my headaches were really bad. Today is my first day back at work since December 16th and so far, so good!

This health change isn't cheap and my health insurance isn't covering it - so this is all out of pocket but it's worth it if it helps me and I have nothing to lose. I'm making these changes for my health. I need to be around when my kids get older and I want to be able to play with them while they are still young enough to want me around.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning

The Beginning of Being Sick

Welcome to my blog! I'm not sure if anyone will read this but I'd like to say "hi" to anyone who comes across this. I ...